Twitter says it has changed its policy on hacked materials and lifted a freeze it had placed on the account of the New York Post newspaper.
The move comes despite the Post refusing Twitter’s demand that it delete six tweets that linked to stories that the company claimed were based on hacked information.
The Post could now send tweets again, the social media platform said on Friday (local time).
It had blocked the newspaper’s account on October 14 after it published articles about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s son, which Twitter said violated its hacked materials policy.
Earlier this week, Twitter chief executive Jack Dorsey drew fire from Republican lawmakers, who accused the company of selective censorship against conservatives.
The New York Post tweeted a picture featuring Twitter’s bird logo flying out of a cage, with the caption “Twitter backs down, finally unlocks Post account after Biden ban”.
The Post reported it gained about 190,000 Twitter followers while it was locked out of its primary account by Twitter.
According to analytics tool Social Blade the increase translates to a 10.6 per cent jump in followers.
Last week it was reported Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter boss Jack Dorsey had agreed to face questioning by US senators over their handling of the Hunter Biden story.
The post Twitter backs down over <i>New York</i> Post account appeared first on The New Daily.