Quebec Premier François Legault is endorsing Ottawa’s response to U.S. tariffs, saying any retaliation must be targeted to avoid doing more damage to Canadian industries.
Legault says Canada was “relatively spared” by U.S. President Donald Trump’s move on Wednesday to levy tariffs on most countries, but says the nation must remain “on guard.”
The White House said goods covered by the free-trade deal between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico were exempted from the new round of tariffs, but Trump said he is going ahead with previously announced 25 percent tariffs on automobile imports starting today.
Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced Canada will match Trump’s 25 percent auto tariffs with a levy on vehicles imported from the United States, following a meeting with premiers today….